Thursday, April 12, 2012

There is a Difference

I am reading Catching Fire at the urging of my tweenage daughter Kaiya, who is completely into the Hunger Games trilogy and has seen the first movie three times now, (FYI- I only paid for one). Josh Hutcherson is her first crush, but as an actress she is even more into and inspired by Jennifer Lawrence. It is what it is.

There are some who have warned against young teens watching this movie and reading the books because the premise is so violent. I guess that all depends upon the maturity of the youth and the conversation you have with them as they read through the books and see the bigger picture and story, while also keeping perspective of it all as fiction with life parallels. My daughter's grandfather was a Sergeant Major in the Army and we have other family currently serving in the US military. I have had many interesting conversations with my kids on the subject of war and peace; prejudice and poverty; compassion and humility. I do not shelter my kids from life. I work as a community advocate and they have been with me serving at soup kitchens and played with the children who were homeless; they have been to Goodwill Industries where I worked with individuals who live with disabilities; to the inner city as I now work in outreach at the local university to empower health, wellness, social entrepreneurism, with violence prevention initiatives in the city. My kids have also grown up attending various churches where they questioned why "Christians" seem to be so judgmental and clique.

We read and know of so much violence in the Bible and throughout history. No one seems to flinch at kids watching passion plays that nail a bloody Jesus to the cross. I am moved by those scenes because of the relationship and understanding that I have there spiritually. I see situation which  force us to fight against the violence to defend and survive. I see men and women with the courage and determination to defend what is right and the honor that should always be awarded to those who fight for our freedom. I also see how power has been abused many times as the enemy sometimes lies within and war has become big business and corruption is a virus.

Ultimately I do believe that peace of heart and mind will be the only force that will win for good. I seek to understand the other's culture and viewpoint to hopefully bring forth new understanding that is not at war. Even in moments when I have to remind myself to live and forgive my ex husband who sometimes acts as an enemy to my family. I am open and will continue to seek peace. As Kaiya says, "Haters are gonna hate and potatoes are gonna potate." So when I see that there is a fierce and hateful force in the universe that is not in its right heart and mind and is determined to fight, I write...

"There is a difference between violence and resistance; defending verses being defeated
There is a difference between wrong and right; where courageous souls may sacrifice
There is a difference between night and day; a dawn that breaks and penetrates
There is a difference between interrupting hate with the intention of lives to save
There is a difference between what you say and how you choose to live today
There is a difference between violence and resistance; defending verses being defeated"

By shawna ray, today 4/12/2012
(And please forgive me if I write typos. I am so not an editor and usually write this stuff in the moment and send it out as it is written with my thumbs from my phone. Hashtags still seem odd to me too, but they work. I welcome edits and do go and back and make changes as they are needed. I am always surprised to find that someone has actually read and responded to something that I have written and released. So it's all good. Thank you for sharing this journey with me. If I had the means and money to record and release the songs that come with these thoughts and moments, and connections to those who are more experienced and talented at producing and making music, I would love to share those too. I have yet to be able to fully create the music that I hear in my head as I write along. There is a difference between ready and reality too. Someday soon...)
www.shawnaray.com

No comments:

Post a Comment